One of the aftereffects of a house fire, that is detrimental to you and your family’s health, and that most homeowners underestimate, is smoke and its aftereffects. The soot that is left over from a house fire contains toxic chemicals from the materials that burned. Polystyrene, PVC pipes in the walls, plastics, metals, and other materials in your home can emit harmful chemicals and release toxic gases into the air. One of these chemicals, called hydrogen cyanide, can take the form of an invisible gas. As stated by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), hydrogen cyanide can cause eye, skin, and respiratory irritation and in worse cases, whole-body systemic toxicity. Other chemicals include styrene gas from polystyrene, dioxins from PVC, and fumes from various metals. Do not come into contact with these chemicals especially if you have a breathing condition such as asthma, or if you live with elderly family members or infants and children.
The only way to ensure that your family is safe, is to call American Restoration Water and Fire, LLC. We specialize in home restoration following water and fire damage and smoke mitigation is no stranger to our trained technicians. We have all the necessary knowledge, tools, and equipment to protect you and your family from the damaging effects and health concerns surrounding smoke. Never enter a structure that has undergone a fire without the permission of the Fire Department and do not attempt to clean up the home on your own. We understand what you’ve lost, but we want you to keep your health. Call American Restoration Water and Fire, LLC and let us help you get your life back.