Asbestos is a mineral fiber that has been used in roofing, flooring, textured paint, insulation of houses, and other home appliances. Because it is a fibrous material, it is relatively weak and can easily break into smaller fibers which can be inhaled by humans into the lungs. Various forms of lung disease and lung cancer have been attributed to asbestos. Mesothelioma is a type of cancer that affects the lining of the chest and abdominal cavity. Asbestosis is a disease in which scarring of the lungs with fibrous tissue occurs. Both of these diseases are often a result of long term exposure to broken or released asbestos fibers and may not be apparent until 20 to 30 years after the first exposure. Like many lung diseases, these conditions are difficult to live with and depending on the severity can result in death.
Fortunately today, the use of asbestos in construction and home appliances has decreased, but there are still several products that contain it. Older homes and facilities that were built before the 1970’s may still contain asbestos in their pipes, paint, cement, and flooring. To avoid an issue with asbestos fibers, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission suggests leaving asbestos alone. As long as it is not already torn, broken, or in an otherwise compromised state, it is not harmful. If you do notice torn or damaged asbestos in your home, you should definitely call American Restoration Water and Fire, LLC right away to protect your household from its frightening health effects.