Our rainy season is fast approaching. What does that mean for mold? The opportunity greatly increases for leaking, stagnant water to come into your home, causing dangerous mold to grow where you live. If you've ever had a water leak in your home, you'll know the smell and the tell-tale visual signs.
The Centers for Disease Control and the Institute of Medicine indicate that mold is linked to a variety of illnesses. These illnesses can range from lung irritation in healthy people - asthma-like symptoms, to acute respiratory illnesses in immunocompromised individuals. Mold will thrive on virtually any organic substance where moisture and oxygen are present. Undiscovered mold can be especially hazardous as it is considered a toxic substance and will often cause respiratory distress to those who are exposed.
There are several effective ways to prevent pipes from freezing. In addition to keeping the interior temperature from dropping below 32 degrees and properly insulating the space, try these tricks:
~ Provide a reliable back-up power source, such as a stand by generator, to ensure continuous power to the building.
~Interior building temperature can be monitored by a central monitoring company to ensure prompt notification if the interior of the building reaches low temperatures after hours, during power outages or idle periods.