An often overlooked fact is that blocked vents can cause serious danger in your home, especially during the winter months in New Mexico. However, don’t worry – the experts at American Restoration Water & Fire are here to offer more information on the dangers that can arise and how to prevent them.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Blocked vents can cause carbon monoxide to enter your home, affecting your family’s health by making it difficult for them to breathe. When vents are blocked, your heating system must work harder to transfer heat through the open vents. An overworked system causes unnecessary strain to your heat exchanger, which will cause it to shatter and thus release dangerous carbon monoxide into your home.
Significant Fire Hazard
It is not widely known, but if there are not enough open vents in your home for heat to escape, it can build up in the ductwork and start a fire. Additionally, if flammable materials, such as cardboard, paper, or household items, are blocking vents, it can also increase the chances of a fire starting and one that will spread rapidly.
Humidity Levels Can Dangerously Increase
Increased humidity levels in a home are breeding grounds for dangerous mold and mildew. Both fungi will cause not only damage to your property but, like carbon monoxide, adversely affect the health of anyone living there. If growth becomes excessive, a certified restoration company like ours will also need to enter the home to remove and clean it safely.
Blocked vents can pose a severe danger to your home and family. Carbon monoxide poisoning, fire hazards, and increased humidity levels are all potential risks and hazards of blocked vents. Regularly inspect and maintain your vents to ensure they function correctly and unobstructed. If you have any concerns regarding your air vents, it’s always best to consult a professional. In case of any unfortunate event, remember that American Restoration Water & Fire is available to help you 24/7 and will be ready to assist you.