There’s nothing cozier in the wintertime than cuddling up with a good book, a cup of chamomile tea, and basking in the warmth of your fireplace or wood stove. As soothing as this scenario sounds, unfortunately fireplaces and wood stoves are some of the most common causes of winter fires. American Restoration Water & Fire LLC has compiled some tips on how to avoid potential dangers and protect your family, while still getting the most out of this winter time tradition.

Before you leave the house or turn in for the night, make sure the fire is completely put out. Never leave a fire in your fireplace or wood stove unattended. Always allow ashes to fully cool before you dispose of them.

Be sure to have your chimney inspected frequently. Some experts recommend having this done at least every two years. Hire a reputable chimney sweep to remove debris and soot from the fireplace, chimney and flue. The chimney sweep will also conduct a smoke test to ensure that your fireplace is safe to use.

Remember that carbon monoxide is a byproduct of burning wood. After enjoying a fire, be sure to leave the flue open overnight so the toxic gas doesn’t enter your home. Be sure that you have smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors installed to alert you of any dangers.

This winter, enjoy those warm fireside evenings with peace of mind. American Restoration wants you to have a safe and fire free winter!

Copyright: yarruta / 123RF Stock Photo