At American Restoration, we consider our pets members of the family. During an emergency, their safety is a big concern. Whether you have a skittish cat, overly excited dog, or cuddly hamster, it’s crucial to plan for home emergencies such as fires or floods. The experts at American Restoration in Albuquerque urge you to follow these pet safety tips to ensure the entire family stays safe during home emergencies.
- Create a plan- Emergencies happen when you least expect them, so it’s always important to have a well-thought-out plan. Take time to sit down with your family and create an evacuation plan. Discuss where the best exits are, who will grab each pet, and where you’ll meet up if you get separated. It’s also a great idea to consider running through a few trial evacuations to ensure everyone is on the same page.
- Put together a kit- An emergency kit is essential to a successful evacuation. An emergency kit will ensure you have the essentials if you have to leave in a hurry. A basic pet safety kit includes food, amenities like plastic bags or kitty litter, medical documents, and comfort items like blankets or toys. You’ll also want to have a leash or a pet carrier. Place the kit near the main exit of your home and let every family member know where it is.
- Dedicate a safe spot- Knowing where your pets will go if your family is displaced due to fire or flood damage to your home and you cannot take them with you. Reach out to family and friends ahead of time to ensure you have a safe place for your pets.
- Leave a way to exit- If you have to evacuate immediately and cannot find your pet, make sure to leave a door open. Doing so will increase their chances of survival if you cannot return to find them.
- Microchip and tag- It’s always important to make sure your pet is microchipped and has the proper tags on their collar. Any vet, shelter, or pet store can scan a microchip, pulling up the owner’s contact information associated with your pet. Don’t forget to update all information on tags and for the chip!
In times of emergency, the most important thing is ensuring you and your family are safe and healthy. If you happen to experience a home emergency, the experts at American Restoration are here to help. Reach out to us for 24/7 care!