Home fires can have several causes, one common one being electrical issues. At American Restoration in Albuquerque, we are here to help you recover from fire damage, but how do you prevent home electrical fires altogether? Here are a few things to look for and tips from the experts to prevent these types of fires.
- Faulty Wiring- Faulty wiring can be a major cause for concern in the home. As time passes, electrical needs change, so it’s important to ensure your home is up to date. Check all wiring associated with your home appliances to ensure it is in good condition. Also, check all cords for wear and fraying.
- Extension Cords- While extension cords are convenient, they are easily overloaded. Extension cords should be used for chargers, little lamps, and other mobile devices. We advise you never to plug an appliance into an extension cord.
- Light Fixtures- Light fixtures, lights, and lamps are another common cause of electrical fires. It’s always important to note the correct wattage for every fixture in your home; that way, there is no risk of fire due to the incorrect bulb being used.
- Outlets- Periodically check your outlets to ensure they are not damaged and are functioning properly. Faulty outlets easily lead to home fires and fire damage.
There are small steps that can be taken to keep your family safe and your home fire free. Implementing these changes can have a significant impact. American Restoration is on your side if you or a loved one experiences a home fire. We are in the business of helping you put the pieces back together after a fire loss. Reach out to us!