We touch on health risks of mold quite often in our American Restoration Water and Fire, LLC blogs—and for a good reason. No single element that we encounter in any cleanup or call more is the presence of mold. And, homeowner concern is out there. Our online advertising efforts show searches for mold-related home issues in 2015 cleared over 18,000 searches in New Mexico alone.

So, how can you stay safe?

Stay dry. The Centers for Disease Control recommends keeping the humidity in your home below 50%; other experts say humidity levels should be nearer to 30%. Utilizing a dehumidifier or air conditioner will help with this process. Make sure your home and attic have good airflow. Open windows when you can. Make sure there’s plenty of ventilation in bathrooms and kitchens, which are naturally humid. And, make sure that your attic can circulate air—have a contractor assess this for this if you are unsure how to check. If a room does receive moisture, make sure to dry it out immediately. Mold can grow within 24 to 48 hours, especially if there’s no circulation. If there’s carpet, consider pulling up the carpet in the affected area and drying out with fans. If you can remove the moisture, you can reduce the risk of mold.

Know the Symptoms.

Health effects from mold can vary greatly. For most people, exposure to simple molds create very little health issues, unless exposed for long periods. However, for the sensitive, infants, or the elderly, mold exposure can be quite dangerous. Look for signs of hay-fever-like symptoms—watery eyes, runny nose, and sneezing. Often, asthma patients are at risk. If you or a loved one are experiencing higher than usual asthma symptoms, consider having your home of office tested for mold and the chemical toxins it produces.

If you are worried about mold exposure, contact American Restoration Water and Fire, LLC. If you believe that you have a medical condition created by mold, do not hesitate to contact your physician immediately.