When you experience a house fire and there has been smoke damage to your house, the odor can be overwhelming. Although there are professional services to remove these smells, there are also things you can do yourself to help remove the odor. The experts at American Restoration are here with a few tips and tricks to remove smoke odor from your home.
- Ventilation is key- Air out your house by opening windows and doors and allowing the sunshine in, as it can also help kill germs. Turn on all fans. Even exhaust fans in the bathrooms and kitchen can make a difference. Circulating air flow will go a long way with household odors.
- Clean the floors- Sweeping, mopping, and thoroughly vacuuming all surfaces. Sprinkling baking soda and then vacuuming it is also a great way to remove smells from carpets and upholstered furniture.
- Clean all surfaces- Make sure to clean all surfaces with a strong cleaning agent. Don’t forget to clean the glass and mirrors in your home. Because these surfaces can hold onto a surprising amount of tar and soot from the smoke, using a mixture of vinegar and warm water is a great DIY way to clean glass surfaces.
- Deep clean furniture- Upholstered furniture can be scrubbed with baking soda to remove excess odor. You can even clean leather with a mixture of vinegar and water, but be careful not to oversaturate the fabric.
- Invest in an air purifier- Air purifiers will help eliminate smoke odors, but they also help kill bacteria and fungi in the air. These are a great investment for any home, especially if you are trying to eliminate smoke odor.
You can follow countless tips to help remove the smell of smoke from your home, but sometimes the scent is so severe you need a professional to come in. The team at American Restoration in Albuquerque is well-versed in fire damage restoration and is available in your time of need! Reach out to us anytime.