American Restoration Water & Fire has been to the aftermath of several home fires and we have seen the damage they can do. This time of the year, coupled with our dry climate, means we need to take Christmas light safety seriously. It doesn’t take much to start a fire that can cause substantial damage, even something as minor as your Christmas lights can do just that. According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI), 150 home fires begin with holiday lights and other decorating lights a year. American Restoration Water & Fire has a few tips on preventing a fire disaster during this holiday season.
- Before you start to string them up, make sure that your lights are rated to be used outdoors.
- Check lights for broken bulbs, frayed or bare wires, loose connections, or any damage to the lights. If so, throw them away!
- Practice safe extension cord safety. You can read more about that here.
- Invest in a programmable timer to ensure that your lights are not left on accidentally. This also benefits your energy bill!
- Your extension cord should be plugged into a GFI outside outlets.
Decorating for this time of the year is a joy many families look forward to, and it can remain enjoyable while taking the necessary fire safety precautions. Keeping your home and family safe this holiday season is always American Restoration Water & Fire’s top priority. For all of your water damage and fire restoration needs, we are here for you 24/7!