Water damage is one of the most frequent claims homeowners make on their insurance. In 2019, nearly 25 percent of home insurance claims were tied to water damage and freezing pipes. Having homeowners’ insurance is vital to restoring the home, but in some cases, homeowners’ insurance does not cover the damage.
Those situations include:
- Damage from floodwater. If your home is in a flood zone, you should have been notified when you purchased the property. Insurance agents, mortgage lenders, and homeowners use flood maps to identify flood zones and determine needed flood insurance. To see if your home is in a flood zone, check the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) interactive website.
- Water damage caused by an earthquake or other earth movement
- Backup of sewage drains, or from sump pumps
- Surface water. This can happen during our New Mexico monsoons. If your home has negative drainage and water pools at the foundation, then come in over the sill of the exterior walls, your homeowner’s insurance may not cover the damage. It’s a good idea to make sure the slope of the land outside your home will drain water away from the foundation.
- Unattended maintenance issues. If your home has had leaking pipes or a leaking roof for some time and you did not attend to the maintenance or repair when the issue began, insurance companies may deny coverage. That’s because the longer there’s a leak, the more extensive the damage will be. As the homeowner, it’s your responsibility to be on the lookout for issues and to keep the home maintained.
In the vast majority of cases of water damage, homeowner’s insurance does cover the extraction of the water, as well as the repair of the home and the belongings. Belongings that are at the end of their lifespan, such as a scratched and very used coffee table, may be valued less than the purchase price of a brand-new item. Questions about insurance coverage are good to ask your insurance agent during an annual check-up of your policy.
When disaster happens and your home or office has water damage, American Restoration is here 24/7 to help. We work with all insurance companies and understand their requirements for documentation as well as the steps for rebuilding. If you have emergency water repairs that are needed, trust American Restoration to help put your home, and your life, back together.