Emergency? Call Now – 505-206-5277


New Mexico, El Paso, & West Texas

Our Hours

We Are Open 24 Hours 7 days a week


Taking care of a home comes with added responsibilities. Ensuring your home is free of fire dangers is critical. It may come as a surprise, but electrical triggers commonly cause house fires and fire damage. The experts at American Restoration are here to help you identify these risks and keep your home and family safe.

  1. Faulty outlets and appliances: Most electrical fires are caused by old electrical outlets and outdated appliances. Issues with appliance cords and switches are also common issues. Make sure never to use an electrical appliance with a compromised cord (worn or frayed). This can cause heat to escape onto surfaces such as rugs and curtains, which can start a fire.
  2. Light fixtures: Another common cause of house fires are lamps and light fixtures. It is important to use lightbulbs with the proper wattage in your home. Always check the maximum recommended wattage when purchasing lightbulbs for lighting in your home.
  3. Extension Cords: Not using extension cords properly puts your home at huge fire risk. All appliances should be plugged directly into wall outlets. Extension cords are intended for temporary use.
  4. Space heaters: Now that the temperatures in New Mexico are starting to drop, households are turning on their heaters. Never put a space heater too close to combustible surfaces. Coil space heaters are especially dangerous because the coils become so hot they will almost instantly ignite any nearby flammable surface.

Fire dangers associated with electricity are much more common than one would think. When it comes to your home, the safety of you and your loved ones is most important. For questions or if you experience a fire or smoke damage to your home, reach out to the team at American Restoration in Albuquerque!